Simkin Center strives to provide a learning environment free from institutionalized racism and oppression, and is dedicated to health and race equity and cultural awareness in supporting maternal, infant and family health.
Birth Doula Training
Doulas provide physical, emotional and informational support to birthing people and families during and after childbirth. Classes are available in online, weekend, and weekday formats.
Postpartum Doula Training
The workshop prepares you to serve newly postpartum families and covers many aspects of postpartum care, including lactation and parent and newborn care.
Lactation Educator Training
Breastfeeding can be a challenging experience for some families. Learn breastfeeding basics, the benefits of breastfeeding, medications used for lactation, and more. This course serves as a beginner course for those interested in pursuing their IBCLC credentials.
Childbirth Educator Training
Birthing people need evidence-based, qualified, and unbiased instructors to help them decide their birthing preferences. Childbirth Educator Training is a comprehensive and engaging educational experience preparing you to be an excellent prenatal educator.
When Survivors Give Birth
This course provides practical advice for improving trust and communication between a birth professional and a survivor of trauma, as well as self-help techniques to handle abuse-related distress.
There will be no refund for cancellation requests made less than 30 calendars days before the start of class. The deadline to request refund or transfer is 30 calendar days before the first day of the workshop for which you are registered. We must receive your request via email. A $100 processing fee is charged on all cancellation, transfers or refunds. Only one transfer per calendar year is permitted. Returned checks will be assessed a $28 fee. No refunds are made for any missed portions of a course, and student will not receive a certificate of completion. It may be possible to make up missed portions of a course for an additional fee of $75/day. Contact us to explore that option. Simkin Center reserves the right to cancel courses with insufficient enrollment, in which case a full refund will be granted. You may initiate dropping a course through Canvas Catalog, however please note policies regarding cancellations, transfers and refunds. If you have questions regarding our registration policies, you must contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 425-602-3378.
Certificates of Completion: In order to receive your certificate of completion, you must attend all workshop sessions (in-person or virtual) and complete all online learning modules before the end of the workshop. A duplicate digital copy of a certificate of completion can be provided. You will need to call our office to initiate request for a duplicate certificate. Please call us at 425-602-3378.
The Childbirth Educator Training is a hybrid course that includes live sessions (in-person or remote), plus extensive online learning modules. The online modules are released and available around 30 days before the first day of the workshop. Due to the nature of this hybrid course, transfers, refunds, and make-up policies will differ from other Simkin Center courses.
- Cancellation requests made at least 30 calendar days before the first day of the workshop are eligible for a full refund, minus a $150 processing fee.
- Cancellation requests made less than 30 calendar days before the start of the class are not eligible for a refund.
- Transfer requests must be made at least 30 calendar days before the first day of the workshop and will incur a $100 processing fee.
- Attendance for 100% of the live course sessions (in-person or remote) is required.
- No refunds are provided for no shows or missed portions of the course.
- To obtain your certificate of completion, it is necessary for you to attend all sessions and successfully complete all assignments.
- It may be possible to make-up missed sessions of the course with approval from the instructor and the Simkin Center Director. This might involve attending missed sessions during a future Childbirth Educator training.
- Please note that a $100 processing fee, plus $100 per makeup session will apply.
- If you have missed any sessions and need to explore your options for make-up, please contact us. We will be glad to assist you.
To be eligible for a refund or transfer, you must submit your request in writing via email, email@example.com, even if you initiate the process via Catalog.
The Simkin Center reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or circumstances beyond our control.
If you have any questions about our registration policies, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (425) 602-3378.
Please contact our office if you are interested in one of the following discounts before you register: You can email us at email@example.com or call us at 425-602-3378. If a discount is awarded you will receive a discount code to use during registration. Discounts may not be combined or used in conjunction with Simkin Center Leadership Fund awards.
- Institutional Discounts: Two or more employees of an organization who register at same time are eligible to receive $50 tuition discount per registrant.
- Bundle discounts: New registrations for any two or more Simkin Center in-person workshops receive 10% off each registration price. Payment and registration must be made at the same time.
- Bastyr discount: Bastyr University faculty, staff, students and alumni are eligible for a 20% discount off Simkin Center courses. The discount is available on one course per year. Eligible faculty must be teaching one or more classes per academic year. Alumni refers to graduates of Bastyr academic programs and students in Bastyr University academic programs must be in good standing.
- Course Assistant Discount: Each workshop has a Course Assistant who arrives early, stays late and helps with basic classroom or virtual meeting tasks in exchange for a $100 tuition discount. This position is offered on first come, first served basis to anyone that is currently registered for the class.
- PALS Doulas Discount: Current and supporting members of PALS Doulas are eligible to receive a 10% discount off Simkin Center workshops.
- Military Discount: Active military members, Reserve, and Veterans are eligible for a 20% discount off Simkin Center courses. The discount is available on one course per year.
In the event of snowy or other inclement weather, visit Flashalert.net to find out if the campus is closed.Up to the minute campus closure information is also available by phone, call the main line: 425-602-3000. Be safe – if you don’t feel comfortable driving, don’t. Please note: Class days missed due to University closure will be rescheduled or made up at later date. Class days missed by a student when the University is open may be made up at another course for a fee of $75/day.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
You are welcome to bring your infant aged 0-4 months as long as you also bring a caregiver. We ask that your caregiver care for your baby outside of the classroom. Nursing is always welcome in the classroom, and your baby can visit you during class for this purpose. Please let us know in advance if you are bringing your baby and caregiver. If you are lactating we can accommodate your needs to nurse, pump or generally care for yourself in the very best way.
Simkin Center Faculty
Simkin Center Faculty are world-class birth professionals who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to classroom. They are here to guide you in your journey of reaching your birth professional goals and help you thrive beyond the classroom. Most of our trainings provide guest speakers who share their areas of expertise and bring a wealth of diversity and wisdom to our learning communities. We are proud our guest speakers include a roster of actively working birth professionals who share their pathways to success.
The Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations offers students tuition assistance through scholarships intended to support future leaders in the allied birth vocations.