ND, LAc, FABNG
Dr. Altman is an associate professor and teaches several classes including the Naturopathic Clinical Diagnosis and Advanced Case Studies series. Additionally she created and currently supervises the Digestive Wellness specialty shift at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health, where she also has her private practice.
"I am always striving to find and treat the underlying cause of disease. While symptom management is important, resolving the underlying cause so that symptom management is not necessary is my goal."
Dr. Altman's medical philosophy involves empowering patients to achieve optimal health through education, support and guidance. Dr. Altman also believes that the health of the digestive system is significantly associated with many other disorders and that healing the gut can help one achieve more optimal physical and emotional health.
Dr. Altman is a Naturopathic Physician, Fellow of the American Board of Naturopathic Gastroenterology (FABNG) and Licensed Acupuncturist. She entered the medical field, where she trained to become a Certified Nursing Assistant at Harper College. She received her Bachelor of Science from the Evergreen State College, where she also became a medical assistant and later trained medical assistants. She received her Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine and her Master of Science in Acupuncture from Bastyr University in 2011 and then went on to complete a 3-year residency at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health in Naturopathic Primary Care.
Dr. Altman is considered an expert in the field of mast cell activation disorders (MCAS, mastocytosis), small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), intestinal Fungal overgrowth (SIFO/IFO) and digestive health. She has written articles, given continuing medical education lectures and performed interviews in several venues on these topics.
- Clinical Teaching Certificate-University of Washington School of Medicine, CLIME Program (2022)
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine-Bastyr University (2011)
- Master of Science in Acupuncture-Bastyr University (2011)
- Bachelor of Science-The Evergreen State College (2004)
- Mast cell disorders (MCAS, mastocytosis)
- Small intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth (SIFO/IFO)
- Long Covid
- Other Gastrointestinal disorders (food allergies and intolerances, IBD, IBS, etc...)